Gone- 1st Rough Draft

December5

I stood still, tears streaming down my face. I realized now, she was gone.

It was New Years Day, it was cold but serene outside. My family, accompanied by my cousin, decided to take a walk by the creek. We bundled up in scarves and layered jackets of many Wintery colors, and had hot cocoa before we set of on our journey. My family began to walk out of the house and into the winter as I gestured for my dog to come along. My dog, named Zena was half heeler and half German shepherd. Rain began to pour lightly and her fur began to glisten as we walked to our gate. We crossed the slippery road. The rain stopped.
Finally we reached the other side of the property and began to walk along side of the creek, following ever so slowly. I looked behind me, and Zena was following at a slow pace. We kept walking and discussed our New Year Resolutions, I said “I am going to start exercising daily.” Well, that didn’t last very long.
There was a constant clatter of our mud boots hitting the hard ground near the creek. And then…it happened. There was a sudden noise, the sound of a mountain lion, catching up to it’s prey. Everyone was startled. I turned around. “Where’s Zena.” I said, choking on my own words. She wasn’t in sight.
I squinted. It started to drizzle again. I squinted harder, and I began to yell my dog’s name. She usually responds, but she didn’t this time.
We searched all around, hoping for a sign. I live on eight hundred acres, and we covered every square foot of it. We put up LOST signs, but no one ever called. We yelled and beckoned for her, but she never came. We sat and cried for hours, but no one could explain our pain. I just wanted to shut everything out, I felt horrible.This was real pain, pain and loss.
I remember her bad dog breath, and her lightly matted fur. She was always playful as a puppy, but she seemed to be loosing her energy over the years. After all, she was fourteen years old and had lived a good life.
I now realize that all things happen for a reason, which can be good or bad at the time. This was my mistake, but we all learn from things like this. At first I was sad about my dog’s passing, but I understand now it was her time to go. I am fortunate enough to have a new dog now, she is lovable and sweet, and she kind of reminds me of Zena.
When you first loose something, it’s okay to feel depressed for a while, but then you have to pick yourself back up, and discover the new pleasures in life.

(Rough draft…. Final paper is different) 🙂

by posted under Uncategorized | 4 Comments »    
4 Comments to

“Gone- 1st Rough Draft”

1. December 7th, 2013 at 6:04 am      Reply lschoch Says:

Is this true?

2. December 11th, 2013 at 5:21 pm      Reply Fan of Gordon Says:

This is a sad story that I wish wasn’t true. Did you ever find any tracks?

3. December 13th, 2013 at 10:48 pm      Reply gracenp506 Says:

Unfortunately, we didn’t find any tracks…But we heard a noise…

4. February 16th, 2014 at 7:16 pm      Reply carmene612 Says:

I love the way you stated the end— ” you have to pick yourself back up, and discover the new pleasures in life. It’s absolutely true, there may be bumps in the road but we should focus on the better things in life.
    I also know how losing a pet feels. It is a very hard thing to go through, but they are now running around in dog heaven now. 🙂

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Skip to toolbar